Cleveland County Water History

CLEVELAND COUNTY WATER HISTORY

IN OCTOBER 1977 SOME 30 COMMUNITY LEADERS OF UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY GAVE THEIR CONSENT TO THE DISTRICT PROPOSAL RECOMMENDED BY THE UPPER CLEVELAND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE’S WATER STUDY COMMITTEE.  THE UPPER CLEVELAND CHAMBER SUPPORTED EFFORTS FOR A COUNTYWIDE WATER SYSTEM WHICH CARRIED A PRICE TAG OF $23 MILLION, BUT NOTHING CONCRETE HAD BEEN DEVELOPED AND THE UPPER CLEVELAND CHAMBER DECIDED NOT TO WAIT, SO THEY BEGAN TO THINK IN TERMS OF THEIR AREA. SUBSEQUENT MEETINGS WERE HELD IN THE VARIOUS COMMUNITIES – FALLSTON, LAWNDALE, POLKVILLE, CASAR, BELWOOD AND DOUBLE SHOALS – TO SEE HOW THE PEOPLE FELT ABOUT A WATER SYSTEM.

THE UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT WAS CREATED IN 1981.  RESIDENTS WHO WANTED WATER OBTAINED THE NAMES OF REGISTERED VOTERS IN THE AREA AND PETITIONED COUNTY COMMISSIONERS TO CREATE THE DISTRICT.  THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS CERTIFIED THE NAMES, AND THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS APPROVED THE CREATION OF THE DISTRICT, AS DID THE STATE’S DIVISION OF HEALTH SERVICES.  COUNTY COMMISSIONERS UNTIL 1983 APPOINTED THE FIRST FIVE COMMISSIONERS WHEN THE FIRST ELECTION WAS HELD. ONCE ESTABLISHED BY THE STATE, THE SANITARY DISTRICT BECAME AN INDEPENDENT UNITY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT WITH THE RIGHT TO LEVY TAXES.   GRANTS AND A LOAN FUNDED THE PROJECT. LEADERSHIP WAS SHIFTED FROM THE UPPER CLEVELAND CHAMBER TO THE NEW SANITARY DISTRICT BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS.

IN 1981 CITIZENS IN THE UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY DISTRICT BY AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY APPROVED A BOND REFERENDUM UP TO $5 MILLION IN BONDS FOR REPAYMENT OF A FARMERS HOME ADMINISTRATION LOAN, AND ANOTHER $5.5 MILLION IN BONDS WAS APPROVED IN 1986.   THE WATER SYSTEM WAS DEDICATED 10/28/84 IN A CEREMONY SPONSORED BY THE UPPER CLEVELAND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. CONGRESSMAN JIM BROYHILL OFFERED THE DEDICATION ADDRESS.  THE SYSTEM BEGAN WITH APPROXIMATELY 240 MILES OF PIPE, 1200 CUSTOMERS, AND 6 EMPLOYEES (3 FULL TIME AND 2 PART TIME).  EVEN BEFORE THE DEDICATION OF THE WATER SYSTEM, PHASE II PLANS WERE ALREADY UNDERWAY FOR EXPANSION WEST TO LATTIMORE, MOORESBORO, AND SOUTH OF HWY 74 EXTENDING NEARLY TO BOILING SPRINGS, AND THE EAST SIDE AREAS OF WACO, MARYS GROVE AND LIGHT OAK AND WITHIN 500 FEET OF MOSS LAKE ON THE LAKE’S NORTH SHORE.

IN 1987 THE $5.5 MILLION PHASE II EXPANSION WAS APPROVED. THIS EXPANSION MORE THAN DOUBLED THE NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS.   THE INITIAL SYSTEM COST $7.3 MILLION AND SERVED 2500 CUSTOMERS.  AN ADDITIONAL 3300 CUSTOMERS LIVED IN THE 160 MILE EXPANSION AREA WEST TO LATTIMORE, MOORESBORO, SOUTH OF HWY 74 EXTENDED NEARLY TO BOILING SPRINGS, AND THE EAST SIDE AREAS OF WACO, MARYS GROVE, LIGHT OAK, AND WITHIN 500 FEET OF MOSS LAKE ON THE LAKE’S NORTH SHORE.  DUE TO HIGH BIDS, THE LOWEST BEING $7.3 MILLION, THIS EXPANSION PROGRAM WAS DELAYED.
BIDS WERE TAKEN AGAIN IN 1/1988 – LINES WERE NOT EXTENDED AS FAR AS PLANNED.  THE HIGH BIDS WERE BASED ON THE POSSIBILITY OF CUTTING THROUGH ROCK, BUT ROCK WAS NOT HIT, THEREFORE, THE FINAL COST WAS NOT AS HIGH AS EXPECTED.  SOME OF THE SHORTENED LINES WERE PICKED UP. PHASE II INCLUDED 160 MILES OF PIPE AND APPROXIMATELY 2500 CUSTOMERS.

IN 1989 PIEDMONT METROPLOLITAN WATER (A WATER DISTRICT IN SOUTHERN CLEVELAND COUNTY WHICH WAS FORMED IN THE SAME MANNER AS UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT) MERGED WITH UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT.   METRO HAD NO WATER SOURCE AND WAS GOING TO BE PURCHASING 200,000 GALLONS FROM UPPER CLEVELAND, SHELBY, AND KINGS MOUNTAIN. THEREFORE, UPPER CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT BECAME CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT.

PHASE III EXPANSION – $9 MILLION DOLLAR BOND SALE WAS APPROVED IN 1991 TO EXPAND INTO AREAS NOT ALREADY SERVED AND FOR GAPS IN THE SYSTEM AT THAT TIME.  THIS PROJECT TOOK APPROXIMATELY 4 YEARS.  THE DISTRICT HAD APPROXIMATELY 5900 CUSTOMERS IN 1991 WITH 400 PLUS MILES OF WATER LINES, PURIFIED BETWEEN 700,000 AND 1,200,000 GALLONS OF WATER PER DAY, DEPENDING ON THE SEASON.  THE DISTRICT HAD TEN EMPLOYEES AT THAT TIME.

A NEW ADMINISTRATION BUILDING WAS BUILT IN 1992.  THE OFFICE HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN A MOBILE HOME LOCATED JUST ABOVE THE WATER TREATMENT PLANT.   AN ADDITIONAL 1800 SQUARE FEET WAS ADDED TO THE ADMINISTRATION BUILDING IN YEAR 2001.

WATER TREATMENT PLANT IMPROVEMENTS WERE MADE IN 1993 TO A 6 MILLION A DAY PLANTS.

THE DISTRICT COMMISSIONERS LEVIED A 5 CENT PER $100 EVALUATION TAX IN 1988 FOR ONE YEAR.  A 2-CENT PER $100 EVALUATION WAS LEVIED IN 1996.

CONSTRUCTION WAS STARTED IN 4/99 ON THE NEW $1.6 MILLION DOLLAR INTAKE STATION WITH THREE VARIABLE SPEED PUMPS CAPABLE OF PULLING 10 MILLION GALLONS A DAY OUT OF THE FIRST BROAD RIVER AND KNOB CREEK.  THE OLD INTAKE WOULD ONLY HANDLE APPROXIMATELY 6 MILLION GALLONS A DAY.  THE NEW INTAKE HAS BEEN ON LINE SINCE 9/2000.  THIS IS PART OF A 20 YEAR MASTER PLAN THE DISTRICT BOARD STARTED IN 1996 WHEN IT UNDERTOOK AN AGGRESSIVE PLAN FOR GROWTH.
FEBRUARY 6 2008 CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT CHANGES THEIR NAME TO CLEVELAND COUNTY WATER.
MARCH 9 2008 THE CLEVELAND COUNTY WATER STARTED THE UPGRADE OF THE WATER PLANT TO A 10MGD, PHASE 1 BUILD A 50MGD-STORAGE POND. OCTOBER 2011 WAS COMPLETED.

TODAY THE DISTRICT SERVES OVER 57,212 CUSTOMERS WITH 35 EMPLOYEES AND 1100 PLUS MILES OF WATER LINE.

THE DISTRICT HAS HAD FINANCIAL AND OTHER PROBLEMS OVER THE YEARS, BUT SINCE 1996 UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP THE DISTRICT HAS OVERCOME THE MAJORITY OF THESE PROBLEMS, AND IS BEING LEAD IN AN AGGRESSIVE GROWTH PLAN.  THE DISTRICT HAS BEEN WORKING ON A RESERVOIR SINCE YEAR 2000 FOR FUTURE WATER NEEDS FOR THE NEXT FIFTY YEARS.

APPROXIMATELY 27 YEARS AGO, CLEVELAND COUNTY SANITARY DISTRICT WAS THE DREAM OF SOME FARSIGHTER UPPER CLEVELAND RESIDENTS.  THEY WORKED LONG AND HARD BECAUSE THEY KNEW THAT IF THE COUNTY WAS TO PROGRESS WATER WOULD BE ESSENTIAL.

5/9/02REV9/02/9/05/AC